Increasing Numbers of Doctoral Students and Postdocs are Banking Their Credentials to Access Professional Mobility and other Benefits
Why Credentials Banking?
The National Psychologist Trainee Register (NPTR) is the National Register’s credentials bank for psychology doctoral students and postdocs, and is the foundation for the National Register Health Service Psychologists credential. Through the NPTR, doctoral students and postdocs bank their education and training credentials and verify that each credential meets national standards.
Doctoral Students and Postdocs are banking their credentials so once licensed they can access benefits like:
Start Banking your Credentials
The student application is designed to be completed in parts, over time, as you are completing your education and training (Part 1: Internship, Part 2: Doctoral Degree, and Part 3: Postdoctoral Supervised Experience).
- Request an online application and let us know where you are in your training. The appropriate application part(s) will be emailed to you.
- Login to your online application using your User ID and Pin Number
- Complete your online application and submit the credential review fee online
If you have questions about completing your online application, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Part 1: Send the internship confirmation form to your internship training director or primary supervisor to complete
- Part 2: Request an official transcript be sent to the NR office (1200 New York Ave. NW, Ste 800, Washington, DC 20005)
- Part 3: Send the postdoctoral confirmation form to your supervisors to complete
If you have completed your online application, but are having trouble tracking your supervisors, email email@example.com.
As soon as you are licensed, you must submit the Registration Attestation form and the registration fee of $150. If you have any questions regarding the National Register’s application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is the initial cost a barrier?
If the application fee is holding you back, you should apply for a National Psychologist Trainee Register (NPTR) Credentialing Scholarship. The scholarships were developed in conjunction with APAGS and have been awarded to more than 215 psychology doctoral students in psychology who were interested in becoming credentialed by the National Register, but for whom the initial cost was a financial hurdle. For more information, go to our Facebook page to see our latest post about scholarships.
Don't forget to join us on Facebook and Linkedin.
Become a fan on Facebook by clicking the Like button. To connect with colleagues on Linkedin, search for National Register of Health Service Psychologists and click Join this group.