Where Politics, Gun Violence, and Psychology Intersect
As psychologists and clinicians, we are routinely exposed to the effects of gun-related violence. Most of us have had to assist patients in dealing with the aftermath of gun violence, usually related to suicide. Some of us have had to negotiate with patients in crisis to surrender weapons. Others have had to make the very difficult decision to make authorities aware of a potentially dangerous patient with access to guns. Read more.
In the News
- SAMHSA put out four mobile apps for patients and providers that address suicide prevention, underage drinking, disaster and emergency mental health response, and bullying.
- Motherhood doesn't just change your life, it changes your brain. By mapping the maternal brain, we gain new understanding why mothers experience anxiety and depression.
- With a surge of Islamophobia in the U.S., young Muslim Americans are feeling the strain of suspicion as they navigate adolescence.
- A decade's worth of research of causes, prevention, and treatment of brain and nervous-system disorders around the world went into this supplement in the journal Nature on brain disorders across the lifespan.
- Psychological therapies have shown to be effective in easing the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- With an increasing amount of TV shows featuring main characters with mental illness, read about how 2015 was the best year yet for the depiction of mental health on screen.
- The National Council for Behavioral Health launched efforts to make individuals trained to deliver mental health first aid as prevalent as CPR.
Spotlight: Presidential Talking Points
In a study that could benefit all 15 presidential candidates, psychologists determined the best way to express your political position when trying to convince someone. The following spotlight features what some psychologists are saying when it comes to top campaign issues.
Issue: Firearm Regulation
Earlier this month, APA expressed their support of the president's executive action to regulate guns. President Obama's remarks touched on what advocates have been calling for: a public health campaign to combat gun violence. The Department of Health and Human Services issued an update to HIPAA to manage the reporting of mental health and clinical information in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. Find out more.
Issue: Caring for Refugees
While many refugee adolescents exhibit resilience in the face of trauma, the stress of their experiences can have a serious impact on their mental health. The National Child Traumatic Stress Network issued this guide for mental health providers working with refugee children and families. Read more.
Police forces get little training on how to handle crises involving mentally ill people. Of the 986 deadly shootings by police in 2015, 1 in 4 of those killed were exhibiting signs of mental illness during their encounter with law enforcement. Read more.
Issue: Renewable Energy
More and more, behavioral science is being used by decision-makers to 'nudge' the American people to change their habits. This piece looks at a small change, based on psychology, that can increase our nation's use of renewable energy. Read more.
Issue: Access to Affordable Healthcare
With more than 11.3 million Americans enrolled for healthcare under the ACA, the Department of Health and Human Services is reporting unprecedented demand for coverage under the 2010 law. This policy brief from Health Affairs examines mental health parity under Obamacare. Read more.
Understanding Child Welfare Systems
This online course from the National Center on Substance Abuse and Child Welfare is geared towards substance use disorder treatment professionals. The course will cover the operations of various systems, services children whose parents have substance use disorders need, and methods of improving collaboration and engagement in treating families experiencing substance abuse. The course offers 4.5 CE credits at no cost! Find out more.
From Cancer to Health Institute at OSU
The From Cancer to Health Institute is accepting applications for their May or August training sessions. Admission is rolling and placement is competitive for the three-day institute on biobehavioral intervention; the grant-funded program includes CE credits, research participation, access to C2H resources and support, and the opportunity to network and collaborate with other mental health professionals from around the country. Find out more.
New from the Job Board
- Psychologist - Maui or Oahu, HI Kaiser Permanente is looking for two psychologists for their busy primary care clinics in Maui and Oahu.
- Tertiary Pain Services Program Manager - Minneapolis, MN The Minneapolis VA is hiring a psychologist for their interdisciplinary pain rehabilitation program.
Psychosocial Oncology Psychologist Columbus, OH Ohio State University is looking to expand their team of psychologists.
White House SBST Fellowship - Washington, DC The Social and Behavioral Sciences Team uses field research to inform policy recommendations.
Research Fellowship - Columbus, OH The OSU Stress and Health in Pregnancy Laboratory seeks a full-time postdoctoral fellow.
Clinical Fellowship Positions- Berkeley, CA UC Berkeley is hiring 5 postdoctoral fellows to work at their university counseling center.
The National Register expressed support for the bipartisan Medicare Mental Health Access Act, which seeks to increase Medicare beneficiaries' access to mental health care, particularly in rural and undeserved areas.
Benefit Highlight: FindaPsychologist.org
NEW: You can now add healthcare and insurance plans to your FindaPsychologist.org listing! Update your profile today to give consumers the information they need.
Donate Today and Strengthen the Future of our Profession
The National Register's Internship Partnership Fund was launched to provide resources to APA- and CPA-accredited internship sites to increase the number of available internship placements. This endowment is a joint venture with the American Psychological Foundation. Read more and donate to this effort.