Job Posting for Health Psychologist
Mount Sinai Services is seeking a full-time health psychologist to provide services for two units at NYC Health+ Hospitals/Queens: the Cancer Center and Adult Primary Care Clinic.
The health psychologist will be expected to provide and oversee short-term, culturally competent, evidence-based therapeutic services for cancer and other medical patients with behavioral health problems, using individual, group, family, dyadic, and/or community-based modalities. The psychologist will prepare treatment plans with measurable goals, monitor progress using standardized instruments, and update interventions based on those results. The psychologist will administer, score and interpret validated psychological tests to determine diagnoses and clinical needs, and make referrals for special treatments and further evaluations.
The psychologist will provide leadership, consultation and training to medical and clinical staff on empirically-based, outcome-oriented treatments, and relevant research findings. (S)he will also provide education to help staff identify, treat and monitor psychosocial problems and create comprehensive treatment plans that attend to psychological disorders, address substance abuse issues, and incorporate health behavior change. The psychologist will play a leadership role in creating and implementing health psychology externship, internship, and post-doctoral training programs.
A psychologist in this position has the potential for significant professional growth, as a leader in developing a comprehensive, integrated system of health care at the hospital, where “health” means a state of physical, psychological, and social wellbeing. In the longer term, the psychologist will develop programs that promote healthy lifestyles, prevent chronic health problems, and improve patients’ quality of life. This effort will include developing screening programs to identify, provide early intervention for, and/or prevent behavioral health issues in medical patients.
Requirements for this position include:
1. A doctoral degree from an APA-accredited clinical, health, or counseling psychology program; completion of an APA-accredited internship; and post-doctoral experience on a multi-disciplinary team in a large healthcare organization providing health psychology services.
2. Progressively more responsible experience as a practicing health psychologist in settings that required the provision of culturally competent, outcome-oriented, research-based interventions for psychological problems and behavioral dysfunctions related to physical health.
3. Proficiency in evidence-based health psychology practices; sophisticated therapeutic and evaluation skills; familiarity with a range of complex psychopathology; comfort working with persons with serious mental illnesses and/or compound stressors; and the capacity to juggle multiple, sometimes competing responsibilities.
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills to facilitate good working relationships with colleagues, supervisors, support staff, interdisciplinary professionals, patients, patients’ families, and external agencies.
5. Current license and registration as a New York State Psychologist.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a sophisticated cancer center.
Interested applicants should send CVs to Leslie Bogen at email@example.com.