GEORGE ENGEL ENDOWED PROFESSOR OF PSYCHIATRY
ASSOCIATE CHAIR FOR RESEARCH
University of Rochester School of Medicine is seeking an exceptional leader to serve as the George L. Engel Professor and Associate Chair for Research in the Department of Psychiatry. This endowed professorship is named after George Engel, a member of our faculty renowned for his Biopsychosocial Model. Building on its long history of distinguished scholarship, education, and clinical care, the Department of Psychiatry has recently reorganized to include five academic divisions each of which has a robust research component. It will be the job of the Associate Chair to coordinate and oversee the research across divisions, develop an overarching strategy for our research programs, shape the infrastructure, and foster the culture necessary for our academic faculty to thrive.
Support will be provided from the George Engel Endowed Professorship and other intramural and extramural funding sources.
The specific responsibilities for the Associate Chair for Research fall into three domains:
As a member of the Department’s leadership team, she/he will
• Craft and implement a plan for departmental research that leverages the existing areas of strength within the myriad outstanding programs at University of Rochester.
• Collaborate with the Chair, Vice Chair, Associate Chairs of Clinical Services and Education, and the Chiefs of each division to ensure cohesive, mutually reinforcing academic initiatives.
• Oversee the Psychiatry Research Administration Group to assure its smooth operation.
• Represent the Department in key research-related decision-making bodies across the University of Rochester and with other partners.
The Associate Chair will maintain her/his own active program of research and a prominent presence nationally and internationally in his/her area of special expertise.
In addition to assuring that our well developed mentorship and faculty development programs are serving the needs of all research faculty, she/he will provide individual content and/or process mentoring to faculty members and trainees in her/his areas of interest, and support division directors in their mentoring oversight functions.
Qualifications for the position include:
• MD or PhD in a clinical specialty from an accredited university.
• Eligible for appointment as a tenured associate professor or professor.
• Substantial record of leadership and achievement in academic medicine.
• History of sustained programmatic research as principal investigator with NIH or equivalent funding.
• Clear commitment to mentorship and demonstrated track record in mentoring academic faculty.
Please send CV and cover letter to:
Yeates Conwell, MD – Search Committee Chair
University of Rochester Medical Center
300 Crittenden Blvd
Rochester, NY 14642
The University of Rochester has a strong commitment to diversity. Veterans, women, minorities, LGBT individuals, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.