The Journal of Health Service Psychology, a publication of the National Register of Health Service Psychologists, seeks a Managing Editor. JHSP is a quarterly journal published by Springer Nature under the auspices of the National Register of Health Service Psychologists. JHSP is a purely applied translational research journal that publishes articles of interest to health service psychologists and allied professionals. While all manuscripts published by JHSP are evidence-based, articles are presented in a style that is atypical for academic journals and consist of a clinical vignette, an introduction, an exposition of clinical issues and interventions based on the opening vignette, and a concluding section outlining major clinical precepts outlined in the article. A major challenge for authors and editors in JHSP is presenting material in a style conducive to a purely clinical readership.
The Managing Editor will be responsible for the solicitation, acquisition, management and publication of manuscripts (five per issue, 4 issues per annum) that meet the unique clinical requirements of JHSP. Other responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Associate Editors, and Consulting Editors of the Journal to ensure that manuscripts move expeditiously through the editorial process from acquisition to publication.
- In collaboration with the Editor-in-Chief, identification and appointment of Associate Editors as needed.
- Working closely with authors and prospective authors to ensure that manuscripts conform to the unique publication standards of JHSP.
- Ensuring that all editorial processes are conducted, and all manuscripts accepted and published, in accordance with the highest standards of scientific ethics, in particular as outlined in the American Psychological Association’s “Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct,” and the APA’s Publication Manual, especially section 8.05 “Ethics of Scientific Publication”.
- Ensuring that all issues of the Journal are assembled, submitted and published in accordance with JHSP’s publications agreement with Springer Nature.
Doctoral degree in psychology or a closely related field. A current academic appointment is preferred but not required. Applied clinical experience in psychology or a closely related field is preferred but not required.
Prior editorial experience in psychology or mental health journals. Experience with clinically focused journals preferred.
Location: The position is envisioned as remote, however, office space will be made available upon request at the National Register’s headquarters in Washington, DC.
Terms: The Managing Editor is a contractual employee of the National Register of Health Service Psychologists. While negotiable, the successful candidate should be able to agree to a five year contract.
Level of Effort: The position is part-time, with an estimated 16 hours per week commitment.
Salary and/or buy-out: Competitive, based on experience.
Availability: The position is available immediately.
Equal opportunity: The National Register is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Applicants representing diverse backgrounds, particularly those from culturally diverse backgrounds or sexual minorities, are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the National Register: The National Register of Health Service Psychologists is the largest credentialing organization for psychologists. Established in 1974, the independent nonprofit organization is dedicated to improving healthcare by identifying psychologists who meet specific credentialing standards to consumers, healthcare organizations, and regulatory bodies. For more information, visit www.nationalregister.org.